(The Sun) Caused by schistosome flatworms, the infection occurs when people come into contact with a type of freshwater snail that produces the worms.
These worms then penetrate the skin and live in the blood vessels surrounding the intestines or bladder of the individual.
When the eggs of these flatworms become trapped in human organs, they can cause inflammation, blindness, scarring, anaemia and ultimately, death.
***If you are a news addict, be sure to bookmark The Most Important News and visit on a daily basis for the very best breaking news, articles and videos from all over the Internet!***